My grandparents recently gave my family a big bag of lemons. To me, this was a perfect opportunity for lemon bars. I often use a great recipe in a book called Sweet Treats, 25 Delicious Recipes that Kids can Cook from Williams-Sonoma. I took step by step pictures on how to make these delicious, lemony goodness!
Ingredients and materials:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1 scrubbed lemon
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar for decoration
- measuring cups & spoons
- 8-inch square baking pan
- smal bowl
- medium bowl
- large bowl
- parchment paper
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- pastry blender
- hand grater
- citrus juicer
- hand mixer
- rubber spatula
- fine-mesh sieve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Butter an 8-inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper so that two sides are hanging off the edge.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together your flour, salt, and sugar until evenly blended.
- Using your knife, cut the butter on the cutting board into cubes. Place it into your flour mixture.
- Take your pastry blender and firmly chop the butter and combine it with the flour mixture until it’s mostly even crumbs. (You can have a few pea sized chunks in there, though).
- Take your flour and butter mixture and pat it down into your pan, making it as even as possible. Guess what, you made your crust!
- Pop the crust in the oven until it is slightly golden, which is about 15-20 minutes.
- While the crust is cooking, you can start your filling. Put your lemon on the cutting board and rub your hand grater against the lemon. Turn the lemon after you grate off the zest, or yellow part of the peel. Keep grating until you have 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Once you have enough, put it in your large bowl.
- Cut your lemon in half and using your juicer, collect 2 tablespoons of juice and add it to your zest.
- Add the granulated sugar and two eggs to your lemon mixture. Turn your hand mixer on to low speed and mix until its well blended. Then increase your speed to high and beat for about 1-2 minutes. It should be pale and foamy.
- Put your flower and baking powder into the small bowl and mix it together. Then add it to your lemon mixture and blend until evenly mixed.
- Remove your crust and pour in your filling, scraping the bowl clean with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is lightly golden on top.
- Remove the bars from the oven and cut into about 12 even pieces
- Put the powdered sugar in the sieve and sprinkle over the bars. Depending on how big of a powdered sugar fan you are, you can put more or less over the bars. I put about a medium amount onto mine.